Friday, March 13, 2015

Weighted Pincushion Organizer

This falls in the category of, "I always wanted to make one of these," and so I finally did.

Pincushion - Threadcatcher - Organizer

I used a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman, offered on the Sew Mama Sew blog a few years ago.  (You can still download the free PDF from the linked post.)

The scrap bag is attached by a button.  I found a small ceramic flower button that was a nice color match, but too small, so I stacked it on a larger plain button to make it work. The bag will also work separately and will sit on it's own.


Thread Catcher    Stacked Buttons

The big pincushion has a wool strip in the center for needles and is weighted–I used crushed walnut shells–to balance on the edge of a table or arm of a chair.

My guild has a sew-in tomorrow to make charity kids quilts.  The quilt pattern will be reveals when we get there–we were asked to bring stacks of light and dark 10-inch squares and a sewing machine with a walking foot.  Normally, I'd take my featherweight to sewing days like this, but because of the walking foot requirement, I pulled my Singer 301 out of it's cabinet, thinking I'd take it ... until I realized that the power cord was missing.  Hmmm.  How did I manage to lose it?  I guess I'll spend the evening turning the studio upside down to figure out what I did with it when I last re-arranged and moved the sewing cabinet ...

Update: after giving up on finding the power cord and learning from Brenda that I could use the combined foot pedal/power cords from my Featherweight, I found the original ... IN the cabinet, just where I put it away :-)

In the meantime, I'm including this finish on these lists:

Richard and Tanya's Link a Finish Friday
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? on Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Fort Worth Fabric's Fabric Frenzy Friday
QuiltShopGal's Creative Goodness Linky Party

4 comments:

Brenda said...

do you have a walking foot for your 301? where did you get it?I bought a walking foot for the FW from april1930s.com but I'm not totally happy with it.

Unknown said...

Very handy and beautiful. I will sew this too. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I've not seen one quite like that, and I do like it. Thanks for the link. I love sewing on my 301, even though it weighs a ton. At least it's hard for children to mess it up. =)

Cathy said...

It's still on my "always wanted to make one of these" list. It looks pretty handy and cute. I think the grandkids would probably take off with the tools in the organizer and push all the pins way down into the pincushion if I had it at my place on the couch.

Anyway...I don't think I'm "organizable".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...