Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Small Wonders

They were easy to see in person as 6 of them buzzed about a lavender plant along the walk outside my studio.

Lavender with humming birds

Can you see him now?But when I tried to capture them with the iPhone that happened to be in my pocket, the result was less obvious.  I first thought were some new-to-me variety of hummingbirds, traveling quickly in and out and around the lavender blooms and evading my efforts to capture their image.

I cropped this guy out of the photo above, edited the contrast and shadows and it is still hard to see him ... though he buzzed about in a typical hummingbird way, he didn't look like any hummingbird I'd ever seen and so I did some research ... and found the White Lined Sphinx Hummingbird Moth. They really seemed to enjoy lunching on my lavender.

I found a much more lovely photo of this interesting moth on the blog, Morning Bray Farm.

5 comments:

mb. said...

so gorgeous! & I know how hard those little buzzy things are to photograph.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Who knew he would be so fabulous !!! I love him!

Barbara said...

I saw these in Colorado. Weird, huh?

Judy S. said...

Fun photos!

Bridget said...

Absolutely amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...