Thursday, January 26, 2012

You MIGHT be a quilter if ...

Texas Tamale BagI was laughing at myself at Central Market today when I noticed some tamales with interesting fabric packaging in a freezer case in the aisle as I walked by  . . .  and bought a package to try while thinking about what kind of quilt I could make the printed cotton bags.  FYI, the back is covered with the usual product packing stuff like nutritional info, ingredients and company contact info.  I had black bean tamales for lunch today and am happy to find out that they not only have interesting packaging, they are tasty, too.

I already have some quilt design ideas for these bags . . . what would you do?  And what crazy un-quilt-related something have you bought lately, with quilting on your mind?

They reminded me of those flour sacks from the 1930's with the flour company logos and some cool vintage quilts I have seen made from them, Like this one from the Infinite Variety exhibit in New York last year, where all the logos were re-embroidered to create red work blocks.


Red & White Flour sack quilt

For anyone who's now craving tamales, cursing me and wishing they lived in Texas so they could buy yummy tamales in cool cotton sacks from their local grocer, you might take a look at the Texas Tamale website–where you can buy them and have them shipped to you, wherever you are–US only ;-)

2 comments:

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

I love, love, love the tamale bags. I love all things Mexican and have fond memories of making tamales when I was little. I sure wish I lived where I could buy some.

Pat/SWquilter said...

I ordered some tamales from the website since you said they were good - now I have two tamale bags AND two varieties of tamales. The black bean tamales are very good. Haven't tried the spinach and cheese yet. My boss was very disappointed - when I offered him a couple for his dinner before a basketball game - to discover that I didn't buy any of the meat varieties. They came nicely packed in a styrofoam chest with ice inserts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...