Sunday, June 06, 2010

The Word of the Day is Sweet

Lemley Farm BoothIt was a sweet day at the Farmers' Market yesterday, as the vendors offered up sweet slices of fruits and vegetables, often served on the tip of the long knives used to do the slicing. I enjoyed samples of peaches, watermelon, tomatoes, mangos, pineapple and more and brought home a couple tote bags full of all of sweet, ripe produce.

I bought peaches from this gentleman.  There was no doubt that this guy grew and picked them.

In the times we live in, I think it's easy to forget how letting things ripen on the vine or on the tree and eating them soon after they are picked makes them taste so much better .  . . and yes, sweeter. 

Lemley Farm BoothHere's a closer look at the signs that are popping up now, a sign that summer has arrived in Texas and the sweet taste of fresh local produce has begun.
But I confess I had to smile a little when the collard greens I bought were described as "sweet." I was wondering how much stronger than my preferred green ingredient, kale (which I have never found at the farmers' markets here), they will taste when juiced . . . and remembering a less-than-wonderful experience a few years ago when I juiced some mustard greens.

1 comment:

Hilda said...

Glad you are past May, and hope June is a better month for you. I was wondering what you were up to.
We seemed to have skipped mellow spring time weather and are now moving right into summer here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...