Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Seeing Red

Kate is hosting a birthday block swap on the quilting forum on about.com. Robin, the birthday girl for June asked for traditional blocks in red and green on white for a Christmas quilt. I resized Edyta Sitar's Dresden Star pattern and things were sailing along with my last minute effort, until I got to this point . . .

Seeing Red

I was pressing the ring and being pretty heavy handed with the spray starch–to make it easier to machine appliqué the center onto it–when I looked down and saw red . . . bleeding onto the white points.

Here's how the block would have turned out, had I finished it.

Birthday Block Gone Wrong

I suppose I needed a reminder about testing red fabrics. Most of these came out of my scrap bag, many of them were from a fabric swap from a few years ago. Before I begin again, I will take the time to make sure I'm sending a block that won't end up making Robin see red either.

5 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Boo! I hate those kinds of reminders.

dot said...

This is beautiful.

Teresa said...

Can you try to get the red out? Biz or Oxyclean might work. If the block is trash anyway, it is worth a try. Once you wash the block thoroughly, I bet it will stop bleeding.

KC Quilter said...

Oh, darn, and such a gorgeous block. Could you maybe overdye the whole block? Or try some of those stain removers made for old quilts? It is just beautiful.

Mama Spark said...

I love it! Try using the color catcher product after you are done. If you finish the applique and then try it in the wash with the color catcher, maybe it will be ok? I would try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...