Sunday, July 29, 2007

At the Quilt Show, Thinking of You

On Saturday, I went to the Sew Charming Quilts show in Grand Haven with my friend Gayle. The Lighthouse Quilt Guild produced a very nice show. As I was walking around admiring their work, I couldn't help but think of some of the people I know only in cyberspace.

This pretty Delectable Mountains quilt by Sally Sundstrom reminded me of Micki's idea for a Scrappy Mountains Majesty swap being discussed on the Scrappy Quilts forum.

Delectable Mountains

Flowers in the Night by Jean Stordahl uses many black on black squares–I thought Kate would appreciate this quilter's collection of black fabrics.

Flowers in the Night Flowers in the Night (detail)

Spring Spectacular, by Jackie Bailey, is a Piece of Cake pattern with fried egg flowers in the border which reminded me of this month's lotto block, Purple Posy. I thought the lotto regulars would enjoy it.

Spring Spectacular! Spring Spectacular! (border detail)

I thought the Brown Bag Challenge was a neat idea and one that one of the swap hostesses on the Quilting forum or the Doll Quilt Swap Moms might take and run with it. (I took a photo of the guidelines, if you want to check it out).

Smell the Color Red Quilter's Bouquet
Field of Flowers African Beauties

Bobbie Vruggink's quilt, Whooters made me think of Krista and her hunt for owls in Waynesville during the Blue Ridge Quiltfest last March.

Whooters Whooters (detail)

Pink Embroidered Twelve-patch is made from vintage embroidered squares purchased at an estate sale by Judy Schippers. I thought Debra would recognize a kindred creative spirit--rescuing old blocks and making a beautiful quilt from them.

Pink Embroidered Twelve-Patch

Marchia Shoemaker's 3-D Bowtie Quilt, made from orphan blocks left over from making a larger quilt, brought to mind Finn's Orphan Train effort.

3-D Bowtie Quilt

You can see all my photos of the quilt show in my Flickr set Sew Charming Quilts 2007.

5 comments:

Mama Spark said...

The quilts are great. I bet Grand Haven was beautiful this time of year. Did you make it to the beach?

Beertje Zonn said...

What a beautiful Quilts,
Kind Regards

Sonnja from the Netherlands

dot said...

Very nice quilts, thank-you for sharing them with us. Looks like there were many beautiful quilts to see.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for sharing the quilt show pictures. I would have loved to be there. I'm also in the mitten.

Debra Dixon said...

You definitely pegged me right!

that's a fun way to view a quilt show and the more you know about someone, the easier it is to find quilts that would appeal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...